Congress to hold day-long ‘fast’ against govt: All you need to know
Congress workers will today hold a day-long fast at their state and district headquarters to promote communal harmony and peace and to protest against the BJP government, reported PTI
* At Raj Ghat in New Delhi, party president Rahul Gandhi will lead the protest against the government’s alleged failure to discuss key issues – like the CBSE exam paper leaks, the multi-crore Punjab National Bank scam, Cauvery issue and Special Category Status to Andhra Pradesh – in .
* The BJP, on the other hand, blamed the Congress for the logjam in Parliament, and announced that its MPs, too, will protest the impasse by observing a fast on April 12.
* The Congress will today also take up issues related to the alleged “dilution” of the SC/ST Act, farm distress and disillusionment among the youth.
* The Supreme Court had on March 20 ruled the government servants not be arrested without prior sanction, and private citizens, too, be arrested only after an inquiry under the law in cases under the SC/ST Act.
It further ruled that preliminary inquiries in a case under the Act be conducted by the Deputy Superintendent of Police to ensure the allegations were not frivolous.
The amendment was an attempt to protect honest public servants from being blackmailed with false case. The decision however was termed the Act’s “dilution” by various organisations.
* On April 2, the Centre filed a review petition in the apex court in the matter.
* Protests by members of the Dalit community against the alleged “dilution” of the Act’s provisions last week led to eight casualties.
(With inputs from agencies)